1945 Washington Capital Transit Co. St.Louis Car Co. PCC 1487 - '45-'48 "Cavalcade of Progress" livery
To make transit more attractive to the public, on November 3-4, 1945, CTCo "Transit's Cavalcade of Progress" previewed streetcar and bus improvements for the post-war era. Car 1487 was repainted in the experimental livery of Burning Bush Orange (deep orange) below the belt rail and Robbins Egg Blue above. The roof was pink edged in dark blue. New interior colors were also applied. No. 1487 was the first car in the world with fluorescent lighting. It was fitted with a "next car" light and new three-part (route number, route and destination) signs, these features were incorporated in the 1540-1589 series PCCs arrived between November 1945 and February 1946. Car 1487 received also all-electric brakes and dash mounted windshield wipers. In 1948 it was restored to the standard livery.
Accepting Back Orders Now