In 1950 Twin Coach announced its large 52-S model and in the Summer of that year the demonstrator came to Chicago. CTA officials, impressed by new bus, promptly placed an order for 500 propane-powered 51-seat units - the largest single urban bus order in history up to that time. Deliveries began in December 1950, opening the propane era in Chicago and first bus was placed in service in January 1951 on route 82A/Kedzie-Homan. The buses were numbered 5000-5499 and for many years they were the symbol of CTA modern equipment. They were retired from the main lines in the late 1960's and all remaining buses were withdrawn in the early 1970's.
As delivered with red CTA logo, in late 1950's-early 1960's livery with roof marker lights.
Available by Special Order