In 1952, Public Service Coordinated Transport decided to retain the rail operation on the municipally owned, 4.5 mile-long Newark City Subway and began scouting around for used modern streetcars. First considered were 25 Brilliners running in Atlantic City, but in summer 1953 30 all-electric PCCs, all in excellent condition, were purchased from Twin City Rapid Transit. They were repainted in the Public Service gray, white, blue and red livery and were numbered 1-30. The necessary loop was completed at Franklin Ave. and revenue operation was started in January 1954. By the end of February the last conventional cars had been retired.
Available by Pre-Order Only