1941 Philadelphia Suburban Transportation Co.
J.G.Brill Co. Brilliner (1-9 series) - in SEPTA Gold livery.
After Red Arrow was taken over by SEPTA, this new gold paint scheme was adopted. This scheme, though attractive when freshly painted, did not look well when the cars became dirty and it was replaced by the "Gulf Oil" scheme in mid-70s.
The Philadelphia Suburban Transportation Co. was in very strong financial position by 1940 and eight new cars were ordered in May 1940 from J.G.Brill company (order 23961) for use on the Ardmore and Sharon Hill lines. The order was later increased to ten. These double-end cars were the last rail vehicles that J.G.Brill company ever built. The Brilliner was introduced in September 1938 as the answer to PCC car competition posed by J.G.Brill Co. by Pullman-Standard and St.Louis Car Co. but only 30 cars of that type were built in 1938-1940. Deliveries were started in July 1941 and all ten cars were in service by early September. Arrival of the Briiliners meant that all off-peak service could now be operated by the faster, more economical one-man cars instead of center-door cars that required both a motorman and a conductor. New cars were fitted with Brill 89E2 trucks and were Westinghouse-equipped. The Brilliners served Philadelphia suburbs very well and were withdrawn from service in 1982.
One Available Now