During 1944 and 1945 the Boston Elevated Railway modified car 3017 of the "Tremont" class with different ceiling fans to improve air flow. In 1948 the first of the Wartime M.U. PCCs, car 3187 was equipped with a new ventilating system and in 1949 all remaining cars of the 3172-3196 and 3222-3271 series were so modernized. Twenty-five cars of the "Commonwealth" class, 3172-3196 were reassigned to Cambridge in April 1951 for use on the long Arlington Heights-Watertown via Harvard Station line. They remained here until the abandonement of the Arlington Heights line in November 1955 and were returned to the Reservoir.
Available by Special Order