After most of TMER&L's interurban system had been abandoned or cutback, Rapid Transit service remained from Milwaukee to Hales Corners and Waukesha. Following brief ownerships by Kenosha Motor Coach Lines, Shore Line Transit and Northland Greyhound, these two lines were sold to Jay Maeder from Cleveland. Maeder formed the Milwaukee Rapid Transit & Speedrail Co., which was more commonly known simply as Speedrail. The first official run was on September 2d, 1949. The company acquired six second hand one-man, lightweight curved-side cars from Shaker Heights Rapid Transit which retained their numbers in 60-65 series. They received a Speedrail orange and maroon livery and looked very attractive. A major accident during a fan trip on Labor Day of 1950 which caused 10 deaths and many injuries and the resulting claims, higher insurance premiums and loss of ridership put the company in a downward spiral. All service ended on June 30, 1951.
New Model Pre-Order
Photo: John F.Bromley Collection