In 1951 Chicago Transit Authority placed a largest single trolley coach order in the US history to the Marmon-Herrington company which offered a very attractive price on such a large lot of vehicles. At total, 349 big trolley coaches of TC-49 model (49 seats) were delivered in 1951 and 1952, numbered 413-761 in the CTA roster (in 1952 they were renumbered 9413-9761). With new trolley coaches in hands, CTA resumed its conversion program in 1951 and four new lines began service that year: 81-Lawerence, 53-Pulaski, 54-Cicero and 65-Grand. Marmons were a mainstay of the Chicago system in the 50s and 60s. In March 1973 last three trolley coach lines (North, Pulaski and Cicero) were converted to diesel buses. In 1974, 124 of the CTA Marmons were sold to Guadalajara, coaches 9553 and 9631 are preserved at the Illinois Railway Museum.
Available also in the late 1960s Mint green & Alpine white livery as Ref.422-1.
Available Now by Special Order