In December 1944 Johnstown Traction Co. received federal approval for the purchase of new streetcars and placed the order with St.Louis Car Co. for seventeen PCC cars. They were delivered in January-February 1947, being numbered 401-417. St.Louis B3 trucks were fitted. These all-electric PCCs were obtained for use on the main rail lines and were part of the postwar modernization program which also included GM diesel buses and St.Louis Car Co. trolley coaches. New PCCs were initially placed in service on the Roxbury-Morrellville line and later they were also running between Coopersdale and Ferndale. However,changes in the steel industry pushed the local unemployment up to unprecedented levels; in the late 1950s the only full trolleys in Johnstown were railfan specials and the last cars ran on June 11, 1960. After unsuccesful efforts to sell the cars, the remaining sixteen PCCs (car 406 had been dismanted after a 1953 dispute with a steam locomotive) were scrapped, but their trucks and electrical equipment were sold to Belgium for use on the new PCC cars for Brussels.
Available by Pre-Order Only