1949 Illinois Terminal Railroad System St.Louis Car Co. PCC (Job 1672; 450-457 series)
In June 1948 the Illinois Terminal Railroad System placed the order with St.Louis Car Co. for eight multiple-unit PCC cars for use between St.Louis and Granite City, Illinois. The double-end PCCs (the smallest PCC fleet in North America) arrived in 1949 (they had B3 trucks) and were numbered 450-457. Because of the very rapid decline in riders in the 1950s, these cars remained in service only until June 1958 when last Illinois Terminal PCC pulled out the basement terminal on 12th Blvd. in St.Louis. For some time the cars were stored, but no buyers were found and in July 1959 they were sold to the local scrap dealer (BIMCO). In 1964 two cars were resold: car 450 to Ohio Railway Museum and car 451 to Connecticut Electric Railway. In 1975, the Shaker Heights Rapid Transit had leased both cars from Museums because of the increased ridership. Cars 450 and 451 arrived in September 1975; both being overhauled mechanically and repainted to original Illinois Terminal livery. The cars were in service from January 1978 to January 1979 and then were returned to their owners.
Available By Special Order