In 1911 Chicago Railways built in their own workshops 71 cars of 1506-1576 series, which were similar in appearance to the New Pullmans, except for the roof. In 1912 144 more cars were built, they were numbered 1577-1720 and they were one feet longer (45") than 1911's batch. The arch roof gave these cars their nickname of "Turtlebacks". These cars were designed jointly by the Chicago Railways and the Board of Supervising Engineers. To save the weight, the cars had wood side panels and 35 h.p. motors instead of the standard 40 h.p. motors. The Turtlebacks usually ran on North and West Side lines, they were very well built and first four of them were scrapped only in 1945. Last cars of this class was withdrawn from service in 1950, some were converted to the work cars, which were in use until 1955.
Available by Special Order