1945/46 Washington D.C.Transit St.Louis Car Co. PCC (Job 1647; 1540-1589 series) - post-1957 "Flamingo Stripes" livery
On August 15th, 1956, D.C. Transit System Inc. (DCTS) took over Capital Transit's operation and in January 1957 car 1575 was repainted in the new two-tone Mercury Green, white and flamingo (orange) livery. Until 1960, cars 1554, 1556, 1560, 1565-1568, 1573, 1575, 1583-1585, 1587, 1589 received this new attractive paint scheme. However, the end was close and in January 1962 the last streetcar routes in Washington were abandoned. 32 cars of the 1540-1589 series were sold to Tranvias de Barcelona in 1963-64, three went to Leonard's Department Store in Fort Worth, TX in 1962 and car 1540 was preserved at National Capital Trolley Museum.
Accepting Back Orders